Annie Leonard once said, “There is no such thing as ‘away’. When we throw anything away, it must go somewhere”. We all have heard about ‘Zero Waste Lifestyle’ once in our life but do we know what is it and how do we live a sustainable life? Today Ecoware brings you the most popular myths about zero waste lifestyle and how you can live a zero or less waste sustainable life. Before we start let’s know one thing that it doesn’t happen overnight. And if you try and make that significant of a life change happen immediately, chances are, it won’t stick. We need to be persistent and consistent to adopt a sustainable zero waste lifestyle.
In the age of modern living, we are creating a big quantity of trash which causes environmental pollution. And with the increasing environmental pollution, people are getting more concerned about how to protect our beautiful earth. With this concern, a new lifestyle was formed ‘zero waste lifestyle’, and is increasing its roots every day. Zero waste is a lifestyle where you live a life without creating unnecessary wastes, especially, non-biodegradable and non-recycling wastes such as plastics. It is a movement to reduce the amount one consumes and consequently throws away. Adopting a zero-waste lifestyle is one of the most sustainable ways of living.
But there are certain myths about the zero-waste lifestyle like:
- It’s expensive. Living a sustainable zero waste life adds to the savings.
- It’s depriving. Today’s consumerist society encourages a materialistic lifestyle. This leads to making us buy things to match up to society’s expectations, not what we need. A simpler sustainable living helps us to focus on what matters and things we need.
- You can’t be fashionable. To make ourselves look more stylish we end up buying tons of clothes every year which end up on the bottom of our closet. Vintage clothing and home furnishing are always in vogue and make you unique.
- Recycling is like having a zero-waste impact. Recycling is sure eco-conscious than throwing something in the trash. However, have you guessed, “reusing” and “reducing” is way better than recycling. You can save natural resources by reducing the trash, which otherwise would end up in a landfill.
- Your single contribution doesn’t make any change. We feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. Adapt the sustainable healthy lifestyle and spread awareness about it.
After clearing the popular misconceptions about having a zero-waste lifestyle, let’s know how we can adapt to this healthy lifestyle as a beginner:
- Say No to plastic bags. When we go out for shopping to a supermarket instead of receiving plastic bags invest in buying a cloth or paper bag. We need to buy them once and can use them for a longer period. Limit the plastic consumption specifically single-use plastic. Instead of buying a water bottle every time we go out, carry our water bottle.
- Ditch plastic packaging. Use biodegradable packaging. It is eco-friendly, easily transportable and we can use it for a few times, when it served the purpose, we can compost it.
- Adapt the minimalistic purchasing approach. Next time when we decide to purchase something let’s wait for a few moments and ask ourselves, do we need it? only when you know you need it, go ahead, make it yours.
- Donate or purchase second-hand products. Got bored of the furniture in the living room? Instead of purchasing a new set of furniture first check on the internet if there’s any availability of second-hand furniture. There are many apps where we can sell and buy second-hand products of better quality. The same thing goes with clothes. If you do not feel like repeating clothes, there are many DIYs on the internet where we can style the same pair of cloth in different ways. Bring out your inner designer and show it to the world.
- Minimize food waste. Revive food leftovers, repurpose food scraps into jams and sauces, and save money as well.
Are you ready to start a zero-waste and sustainable journey?
Join Ecoware to live a healthy sustainable life. Do check out its amazing 100 percent biodegradable tableware products on www. ecoware.in
STAY HEALTHY AND USE ECOWARE.
Really doing great ecoware..! Keep it up…!
I really like the way your blog presentation and the whole idea behind more sustainable.
Indeed. It is in our hands to make our Earth a Healthy and Beautiful place.
Great initiative & Indeed the greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it. We all need to do our parts to save the environment and we need to do it now.
Very useful. Great concept. We need to adapt this habit in our daily routine. Great work Ecoware!